Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Audio Book Version?

We have been approached by an audio production company about producing audio book versions of the books in this series.  While no figures are on the table yet, it is pretty clear that the process would involve our having to pay the production company to make the recording, a sum likely to run many thousands of dollars.  We are reluctant to make this investment out of our own pockets unless we are fairly confident that that there is a large market out there for audio versions of these books.

So, we are asking you, Laura Jo's readers, to "sound off" (yes, I know how lame the pun is) on this issue.  Would you be interested in buying audio versions of these books--they would probably be available on CD and as a digital download you could listen to on your MP3 player or computer?  We really don't have any clear idea what the price would be, but if you look on line and in stores, you can get some idea what audio books are going for these days.  The recording, we are assured, would be of the highest quality, with a professional reader, music, and maybe even some sound effects.

We ask that you use the comments section to let us know whether you would spend your hard-earned cash to own an audio version of the books, and--if you think you know--your views on whether there would be a market for these recordings that would make it worth our while to pay the production costs.

We look forward to hearing your views.

7 comments:

  1. I'm not interested in audio versions. I'd rather your time and energy goes into more books :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. That is definitely where the energies are going. We are still undecided on this issue and, indeed, haven't yet gotten the formal written proposal from the recording studio. If it were free, we would jump on it as a way of reaching a broader audience. But, it may be difficult to justify the cost at this point.

      Delete
  2. Oh YES! I would definitely buy your audio book version of this series. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We would love to hear it, too. A lot is going to depend on what recording studio actually proposes and what it will cost.

      Delete
    2. I totally understand. But when it comes to books from authors I like, I can be very patient. I've waited years for some authors to finally have their work placed in audio book format. I can wait until it's a viable business decision for you and Laura Jo. I wish you both all the best in your continued success, hopefully there will come a time when this choice is a no-brainer.

      Delete
  3. As much as I enjoy audio books, I can get my kindle to read to me if I have to. It doesn't sound as good but it's free. I love these books but I wouldn't pay the cost of an audio version. They just cost to much. I will, however buy the ebook as soon as I see that it has been published! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's one of the many great things about the Kindle--it will read to you on top of the other amazing stuff it does. We are huge Kindle fans, especially as the overwhelming majority of the market for these books is in the e-book format, primarily the Kindle version.

    ReplyDelete